• Young-Carers-Arts-Project

  • YAW-Canoe-Activity
  • musicians-2

  • Bratton Lunch Club
  • HRH-at-Handel

  • Stonehenge-and-Pewsey-Canoe
  • Feathers opening
  • NCS-fencing
Print

History

Rural Community Councils (RCCs) were first introduced in England just after the First World War when 24 RCCs were established with a remit to support and encourage rural communities through development work in areas such as village halls, young people, health services, further education in villages, countryside preservation and Parish Councils.

In 1947 18 more RCCs were established and the working remit expanded to include rural industries, the Association of Local Councils, old peoples welfare, local history societies and handicapped care.

Nine further RCCs were established in 1965 and this included the launch of the Community Council for Wiltshire.

The Community Council for Wiltshire (CCW) began life with a staff of four who oversaw the work of the county village halls grant, the rural industries portfolio and acted as agents for the work of The Wiltshire Association of the Care of the Elderly, The Wiltshire Playing Fields Association and the Wiltshire Association of Parish Councils.

By 1975 CCW had grown to 10 staff and its work portfolio had grown and developed including help in establishing the Wiltshire Pre-School Learning Alliance, the Wiltshire Family History Association, the Wiltshire Natural History Forum and the Wiltshire Folk Life Society.

As a result of its expanding work areas and to reflect its closer working relationship with local communities and organisations across the county, in 1996 CCW decided to redefine and refocus its community services and to re-launch the organisation as Community First, which today has a professional team of over 60 staff. Follow this link to view the staff page.