Community First News & Updates
Community First awarded £59k from the National Lottery to support ongoing work with communities impacted by Covid-19
Community First is delighted to have been awarded almost £60,000 in National Lottery funding to support its work with communities and individuals impacted by Covid-19 in Wiltshire and Swindon.
The charity, based in Devizes, will use the cash to boost support a variety of groups impacted by the virus including community transport, young people (including young carers), those who are unemployed or economically inactive and people affected by cancer.
The new funding from The National Lottery Community Fund, which distributes money raised by National Lottery players for good causes and is the largest community funder in the UK, will see the following specialist support provided by the charity:
- Expanding support for people affected by cancer through Macmillan Cancer Connections.
- Expanding Connect 2 Wiltshire to provide additional support for people who are lonely or isolated.
- Helping people who face barriers to technology get online and stay connected via digital solutions including tablets and data sims.
- Welfare checks, webinars, coaching, counselling and positive activities to support young people impacted by Covid-19, including young carers and those facing challenges in their lives.
- Increasing capacity for our award-winning Youth Action Wiltshire service to reach as many young people as possible.
At the same time, Community First will continue to work closely with partners in and across the sector to support the community response to Covid-19.
CEO Lynn Gibson said:
“We’re delighted that The National Lottery Community Fund has recognised our work. Now, thanks to National Lottery players we will be able to expand our vital work to support communities during this difficult time, including people who are most vulnerable. Our work will help to ensure that that our service users including young carers, young people facing challenges in their lives, people affected by cancer and those who want to get back into work or education, are not left behind as a result of this crisis.”
About The National Lottery Community Fund:
We are the largest community funder in the UK – we’re proud to award money raised by National Lottery players to communities across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Since June 2004, we have made over 200,000 grants and awarded over £9 billion to projects that have benefited millions of people.
We are passionate about funding great ideas that matter to communities and make a difference to people’s lives. At the heart of everything we do is the belief that when people are in the lead, communities thrive. Thanks to the support of National Lottery players, our funding is open to everyone. We’re privileged to be able to work with the smallest of local groups right up to UK-wide charities, enabling people and communities to bring their ambitions to life.