Bulk Oil Buying
A large percentage of Wiltshire households are not connected to mains gas. Community First works with Oil Fuel Poverty Solutions to deliver a bulk oil buying scheme which helps members save money on the cost of domestic heating oil.
Community First Bulk Oil Buying Scheme
LATEST OIL PRICES
Pence per litre (+ 5% VAT)
The Community First Oil Buying Scheme will be managed by Oil Fuel Poverty Solutions from 1st May 2018
The Community First Bulk Oil Buying Scheme is managed by Oil Fuel Poverty Solutions (OFPS) and aims to reduce the cost of your domestic heating oil. By bringing communities in Wiltshire together and making the most of joint buying power, we can make savings and pass them directly to people like you whose fuel costs are high simply because you use oil-fired central heating.
Every time a tanker makes a delivery, it uses a lot of diesel – a full tanker can get as little as eight miles per gallon! If deliveries are organised so that one tanker delivers to several customers in a village, instead of making lots of individual deliveries, the fuel consumption is reduced and so is traffic in the village.
To take advantage of the scheme you pay an annual membership fee to Community First, which covers as many oil orders through Oil Fuel Poverty Solutions as you need during the course of the year.
5 easy steps to cheaper heating oil
- Join the CF Oil Buying Scheme, by downloading and completing the membership form.
- Wait to hear from your local co-ordinator. We will let your local co-ordinator know that you have joined the scheme. Each month they will email you to ask whether you want to place an order. The minimum order is 500 litres.
- Place an order. Let your local co-ordinator know you want to buy oil. Each month they submit a total village order to us. Your order increases our negotiating power, so once submitted we regard it as binding.
- Sit back whilst we negotiate the price We negotiate the best price from a range of suppliers. Your local co-ordinator will advise you who the supplier is, the price per litre (exclusive of VAT, currently at 5%) and the approximate date of delivery.
- Take delivery of the oil and pay the company. The oil will be delivered as soon as possible and you pay the company supplying the oil direct.
DomesticOil Scheme Membership
- For domestic households (excludes village halls, community buildings or business premises).
Community BuildingOil Scheme Membership
- Village Halls or Community Buildings (including sports grounds, scout huts etc.)
BusinessOil Scheme Membership
- Covers any building which is used for commercial purposes or as a business premises.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Oil Buying Group?
An Oil Buying Group is when a community group or a group of people get together to negotiate and then place a bulk order for domestic heating oil with one supplier.
When lots of people get together we can negotiate the price down substantially. Our partner, Community Buying unlimited, has been negotiating with suppliers since mid 2009 and the average saving (over £83 if you measured against the highest price quoted!). They have developed the expertise to really know when the suppliers have reached a genuinely low price. Even better – our members do not suffer from surcharge levied by suppliers on small (500-999 litres) deliveries.
One big order means that only one or two tankers need to be made –therefore less CO2 is produced and there is less congestion on often narrow roads.
How can I join the Oil Buying Group?
To join the Community First oil buying scheme download a copy of the membership form and pay your membership fee. You normally save more than your membership costs in your first order.
How can I order?
Through your local Co-ordinator. Let them know your name, address, postcode and contact number together with the amount of oil you think you need (it also helps to know if you want your tank filled if it will hold more or whether that is the maximum amount of oil you want). Also let us know if it is getting very urgent (we will do our best). We order once a month.
Is there a minimum order?
Yes, the minimum order that the suppliers will accept is 500 litres per delivery – this is their stipulation rather than ours. Please note there is no maximum order.
I've never bought oil before, what do I need to know?
It helps to know how big your tank is – domestic tanks normally hold between 1200 and 2500 litres (but not always). How much oil you need depends on the size of your house and how hot you keep it. An average 3-4 bedroom house uses approximately 1500-2500 litres per year but this can vary significantly. Don’t let your tank run dry, as air blocks are expensive to clear.
When should I buy oil?
The price of oil seems to be on an ever upward trend! However there is usually a large serge in the price of heating oil in the winter months. Try to plan ahead and order in summer if you can.
I have specific delivery requirements, can you accommodate this?
Yes, as long as we know about them. Long hoses, small tankers, locked gates etc. are not a problem. We make sure that the supplier chosen for your delivery can accommodate whatever is required.
Do you operate a payment plan with suppliers?
Unfortunately not. Payment Plans usually attract a higher price in terms of pence per litre and, as the aim of the bulk oil buying scheme to drive down that cost, payment plans are not currently available.
Can I order an additive with my delivery of heating oil?
Virtually all suppliers can supply additives and we can incorporate these into an order.
Become a member of Wiltshire Village Halls Association (WVHA) for just £40 a year.
We offer a brokerage service for affordable insurance for village halls and community buildings.
Contact details for the team, including the village halls support service.