Wiltshire Young Carers Service
Established in 1998 as one of the first young carers support projects in the country, we currently have 650+ open cases for young carers aged from 5-18 years.
Wiltshire Council Families and Children’s Service, carries out assessments of young people who care for someone else. The first part of the assessment process is for an adult to complete a Digital Assessment and Referral Tool (DART) for the young person.
The Digital Assessment and Referral Tool (DART) is aimed at professionals, if you are a family member, or you need any support completing the DART, our Young Carers Team are here to help. Please phone 01380 720671 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What we do;
- We support families through the referral process.
- We support young carers to create action plans.
- We ensure young carers are safe in their caring roles by providing equipment, training and ensuring specialist support is available when needed.
- We provide mentoring to support young carers to overcome individual challenges.
- We work in partnership with Carer Support Wiltshire, to deliver a wide-ranging programme of exciting respite activities and breaks for young carers, including adventure, arts and sports activities.
- We facilitate issue-based workshops, volunteering opportunities and non-formal learning programmes for young carers.
- We provide advocacy for young carers to ensure they can meet their full potential within education.
- We provide 1:1 support and time for young carers to talk.
- We deliver free to access positive activities during every school holiday period through Splash.
- We provide 1:1 support and non-formal learning programmes for young carers who are Not in Education Employment or Training (NEET) through Project Inspire.
- We make supported referrals to other amazing charities that work with young carers. For example; Young Carers Development Trust.
- We ensure young carers voice voices are central to our planning and delivery through our ‘Young Listeners’ project.
day places offered for young carers on varied, needs appropriate respite activities
of young carers accessing support, reported feeling safer in their caring roles
reported increased skills & improved health & wellbeing
“Wiltshire Young Carers Service, has stopped me being lonely. I now have people I can talk to and lots of things to look forward to”
“I’m so much happier, I have friends who understand me, I’m doing better at school and enjoying life”
“Being with other young carers means you can talk about things, without worrying about being judged or bullied”