Young Victims of Crime Service
Splash provides support for Wiltshire young victims of crime aged under 18 years. Our service, launched in March 2019 is designed to work with young victims of crime over a sustained period of time to help them to cope and recover from their experience of crime.
For Young Victims of Crime Aged Under 8 Years
- Working with the child’s main carer we will provide supported signposting to local Children’s centres, emotional literary support in schools and age appropriate specialist services such as child and adolescent mental health services.
- If more intensive support is deemed appropriate we will support the child to access counselling via our partner Relate (age appropriate assessments are required).
For Young Victims of Crime Aged 8-18 Years
- Working directly with the young person we will provide 1 to 1 coaching with an experienced Splash Youth Support Worker. Together they will create an Action Plan using self reflection tools which identify any areas of development/barriers or challenges the young person wishes to overcome. Working through the Action Plan over a period of time will aid increased confidence and self-esteem which will facilitate the development of resilience in a bid to cope and recover from their experience of crime.
- Fun, positive activities during school holidays which are designed to increase young peoples confidence and self-esteem, give them opportunities to interact positively with peers, have fun and make friends.
- Support to understand and access Restorative Justice practices as and when appropriate.
- Advocacy and supported signposting to specialist services where appropriate.
- Training to become a Peer Mentor or Young Listener and then volunteering opportunities, helping other young victims of crime cope with and recover from their experiences of crime.
- Opportunities to join our Splash Young Victims Of Crime Forum and provide feedback to a multitude of services involved in the criminal justice system.
- Support to access local clubs and groups to maintain regular interaction with peers.
- 1 to 1 or family counselling via our partner Relate, where appropriate.
Core funded by the Office of Wiltshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner the Splash team receive referrals for this service from the Horizon Victim and Witness Care Team.
“My son got very upset yesterday about something and wanted to speak with you. I want you to know the impact you have had on him and how he trusts you”
“I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the fantastic day fishing. My daughter had such a wonderful time and was on cloud nine all evening talking about all the fish she caught! You really are such an incredible and inclusive organisation.”
“He has loved every minute of his time with Splash. When talking to him about everything he says he feels in a better place since attending Splash.”